The Basics of Metal Laser Cutting ServicesThis method of fabrication dates back more than 60 years. However, it’s become increasingly advanced over time. Today, it’s considered one of the most advanced and successful ways to cut metal accurately. The leading laser cutting companies use cutting-edge machines combined with computer numerical control technology, otherwise known as CNC. To better understand why industrial laser cutting services are in such high demand, consider these key factors.
Different Types of Lasers
Fabricators use different types of lasers. These include:
- Fiber – This powerful laser involves special glass fibers that amplify the beam.
- CO2 – Many laser cutting companies use this type, which runs electricity through a tube that contains a mixture of gases.
- Crystal – There are two forms of the crystal laser, including Nd:YAG and Me:YVO. They’re both powerful and work great on coated and uncoated metal. However, they’re significantly more expensive compared to fiber laser services.
Different Types of Cutting
As part of metal laser cutting services, a fabricator will determine the type of cut required for your product. In addition to different types of devices are different cutting solutions.
- Fusion Cutting – Commonly used for industrial laser cutting services, this device uses a type of inert gas. That’s what quickly forces molten material out of the cutting torch. Fusion cutting is the preferred choice when fabricating products that require aesthetic perfection.
- Flame Cutting – In this case, the device forces molten material out using oxygen gas. As a versatile option, it cuts many metals, including mild steel.
- Sublimation Cutting – Laser cutting companies use this cutting to ensure that the metal’s edges are void of oxidants and, therefore, superior.